3 Reasons Why the Culture War Is Winnable—
And How American Family Association Is Helping
For Four Decades, AFA Has Engaged Christians to Change the Culture
January 6, 2020
TUPELO, Miss.—As a new year kicks off, American Family Association (AFA, www.afa.net) is pointing to several victories in 2019 that remind Americans that, despite disappointing trends, the culture war IS winnable.
“Throughout 2019, AFA witnessed watchman-on-the-wall wins that are required to preserve the religious freedom of all Americans,” said AFA President Tim Wildmon. “My dad, Don Wildmon, exemplified perseverance and faithfulness when he was at the helm of AFA. As he said many times, faithfulness is more important than success.”
Wildmon shares three reasons why a victory is within reach:
- Without a doubt, God called Don Wildmon to begin AFA’s work over 40 years ago. “What God requires us to do, He enables us to do. I speak for everyone at AFA when I say that we are committed, without reservation, to fulfilling that call,” Tim Wildmon adds.
- God has blessed AFA with faithful, generous and passionate supporters who are willing to send letters, sign petitions, educate their friends and family on cultural issues, and sacrifice for the sake of preserving the greatest nation in history and honoring the God upon whose precepts it was founded.
- God hears the prayers of His people and sovereignly weaves them into His will. Jesus instructed His people to pray: “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10). “I know He will answer that prayer because He told us to pray it,” Wildmon says. “We pray, follow our prayers with obedience and faith, and trust God with the outcome. That is winning! That is victory!”
Wildmon also pointed to the amazing blessings God bestowed upon AFA throughout the year. In 2019, AFA was a leading Christian and conservative voice in the discussion of critical moral issues in America’s public life. AFA used its communication resources to:
- Warn parents about the sexually explicit and violent Netflix series “13 Reasons Why.”
- Applaud President Trump for defunding part of Planned Parenthood’s federal dollars.
- Exhort senators to pass the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act.
- Urge retailer Target to drop its misguided and very dangerous restroom policy that has allowed sexual predators to wreak havoc in the lives of women and children in its stores.
- Encourage the current administration to revoke President Obama’s transgender policy regarding restroom usage in public schools.
With news, analysis and inspiration, American Family Radio and AFR News reached listeners across a 181-station radio network in 31 states and online. OneNewsNow.com, AFR’s news website, averaged more than a million pageviews a month and emailed a news update every weekday to more than 135,000 subscribers. With over 100,000 readers from all 50 states, the award-winning AFA Journal informed and inspired readers through news and features that addressed critical issues important to Christian families.
American Family Studios (AFS) also produced a variety of video resources that inform, encourage and entertain, including a six-week marriage curriculum titled “Love Sings: The Artistry of Marriage,” hosted by Barbi and Terry Franklin; “God in the Constitution” with historian and WallBuilders founder David Barton; and three more episodes of “Ryan Defrates: Secret Agent,” an AFA original children’s animated series.
In the closing months of 2019, AFS neared the final stages of production of what promises to be a groundbreaking feature-length documentary titled “In His Image: Delighting in God’s Plan for Gender and Sexuality.” The documentary will be hosted by popular author and AFR radio host Dr. Michael Brown.
Additionally, AFA reached millennials and Generation Z through Engage, led by young AFA staff members seeking to better understand the spiritual needs of young Christians and how to meet them. Efforts included Engage Magazine, a popular podcast and the Orange Letter Campaign that collected 1,500 letters from young people to send to persecuted Christians and missionaries all over the world.
More than 500 people also attended AFA’s second Marriage, Family and Life Conference. The conference spanned a number of core issues related to AFA’s mission, including the greatness of America, sexual freedom through Christ, the Church’s fight against abortion and the trustworthiness of the Bible.
“Time and time again, in the darkest days of our nation’s fight for independence, God used the prayers of George Washington to direct the course of events that eventually lead to our sacred liberty,” Wildmon concludes. “God can do that again in our century as we lay the needs of our nation before Him.”
To interview an American Family Association representative, contact Media@HamiltonStrategies.com, Jeff Tolson, 610.584.1096, ext. 108, or ext. 102.