American Family Association Reflects on Successful Year of Helping to Keep America’s Families Strong
Boycotting Target; Warning Families About Netflix’s ‘13 Reasons Why’; Helping to Pass Strong Pro-Life Laws; Applauding Conservative Advancements—and More; AFA Continues to Make Culture-Changing Impact
TUPELO, Miss.—The American Family Association (AFA, www.afa.net) is looking back on an impactful year of helping to keep families strong, safe, together and informed.
“The American Family Association has been standing for traditional Christian values for 41 years, and over the decades, millions have aligned with our vision and helped strengthen our mission,” said AFA President Tim Wildmon. “Thousands of lives have been changed because of the calling God has blessed us with, and thousands more can still be impacted. Much has been accomplished, but much work is left to do.”
Among AFA’s 2018 accomplishments are the following:
- Continued the strong #BoycottTarget campaign, now with more than 1.5 million signatures. In May, AFA hand-delivered an additional 500,000 boycott signatures to Target corporate headquarters. Target stock remains low during this Christmas shopping season.
- Educated families about the damaging effects of the Netflix teen series “13 Reasons Why” and the tragic suicide of 14-year-old Anna Bright and others like her. AFA also asked then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions to open an investigation of Netflix for the distribution of child pornography in violation of federal law. Netflix is airing “Desire,” a movie that depicts children simulating sexual situations.
- Distributed over 66,000 Bibles to teenagers across America during its Truth for Youth Bible Week.
- Helped to pass one of the most pro-life bills in America through Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban.
- Thanked President Donald Trump for the conservative constitutionalist judges he’s appointed and challenged the president to continue doing so.
- Produced a voter scorecard through AFA Action indicating how political incumbents voted on significant legislation and produced the 2018 iVoterGuide to help voters learn more about candidates running for office.
- Brought attention to several religious liberties issues, including an Army chaplain who faced court martial for exercising his faith; a Christian teacher who was fired for not caving to transgender student demands; the case of Asia Bibi, a Pakistani Christian, wife and mother who spent nine years on death row for blasphemy against Islam; Jack Phillips’ religious freedom victory; and Andrew Brunson, who was released from Turkish detention after two years, among others.
- Prayed for and urged the Senate confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
- Mailed the AFA Journal to 150,000 homes 11 times throughout the year.
- Broadcast daily programming on 183 radio stations in 32 states through American Family Radio.
- Connected with approximately 1 million people per month through AFA websites and social media.
- Sent numerous email Action Alerts to more than 700,000 recipients.
- Reached audiences through The Stand, AFA’s official blog; Engage Magazine, an Internet and print publication aimed at the millennial generation; AFA Foundation, the division that helps individuals and families leave a legacy that lasts a lifetime through charitable gift annuities; and the One News Now news service.
Additionally, OneMillionMoms.com, an online initiative that monitors entertainment and media; was successful in seeing “The Mick,” “Once Upon A Time” and “Lucifer” removed from the television airwaves. Public outcry and lack of advertisers played a major role in the controversial shows’ cancellations. And American Family Studios, the filmmaking branch of AFA, released the documentary “The God Who Speaks,” which won first place at the 2018 Christian Worldview Film Festival.
“We are in the midst of great spiritual warfare in our nation,” Wildmon added. “The anti-God forces of secularism are going for the jugular in an unprecedented push to overthrow the Judeo-Christian foundations of America. We cannot—and will not—let that happen. The secular left continues to use mob tactics and lawlessness to intimidate and silence those who defend the Constitution and the principles of biblical righteousness, but AFA remains on the frontlines, resisting the onslaught.”
American Family Association is available to do immediate breaking news interviews via its LTN line at AFA studio headquarters. Contact Media@HamiltonStratetgies.com for information or call 610.584.1096, ext. 102.