For Immediate Release November 28, 2016
Beth Harrison, Hamilton Strategies, 610.584.1096, ext. 104, Media@HamiltonStrategies.com or Deborah Hamilton, 215.815.7716, 610.584.1096, ext. 102
FCA’s ‘Heart of an Athlete’ Devotional Gives Competitors a Daily Spiritual Workout
Fellowship of Christian Athletes Popular Resource Helps Athletes Spend Time in God’s Word; 25% Off Gift Edition for Cyber Monday
KANSAS CITY, Mo.—Have you had your daily workout?
That’s the question Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA, www.fca.org) wants to ask competitors—not necessarily about their physical workout but about their spiritual workout. And to help flex those muscles, FCA is offering a hardcover gift edition of its popular devotional, “Heart of an Athlete.”
To help athletes become true competitors for Christ, the athletic devotional encourages readers to spend time in God’s Word and addresses issues such as identity, fear, trust and recognition.
“We know that athletes have a passion for sports and view life through a competitive lens,” said Dan Britton, FCA’s Executive Vice President for International Ministry, who helped author and edit the original edition of “Heart of an Athlete.” “And yet, as athletes, our drive for success and commitment to our sport may lead to distancing ourselves from friends, family, church and school. But God wants to be included in every area of our lives, including sports. ‘Heart of an Athlete’ is our daily spiritual training, because when we become true athletes for Christ, we can make an eternal impact on those around us: our teammates, coaches, families and even our competitors.”
Today only, for Cyber Monday, the hardcover gift edition of “Heart of an Athlete,” with 90 devotionals, is available for 25 percent off from the FCA online store.
Reviews for “Heart of an Athlete” are positive, especially from those who have purchased the resource for young athletes:
- “I am always searching for a daily devotional book for my teenage son that he will actually read regularly. This is it! He is 17 and plays competitive sports. He has been reading it since I gave it to him. I see it on his bedside table, I see it in his sports bag when he travels, I see it on the kitchen table. He even tells me it is a great book and it’s helping him. I highly recommend it!”
- “This daily devotional/reading is incredible for all athletes (girls and boys). It is another way to bring our children closer to God through an avenue that they are passionate about.”
- “I bought this for my 14-year-old basketball-obsessed athlete son. He is a Christian but he has a difficult time expressing his faith. I thought this would be a great way for him to get into the Word (in) a way that was relevant to him.”
FCA has also partnered with YouVersion for a seven-day “Heart of an Athlete” Bible reading plan. Designed for athletes at any level, the weeklong devotional offers memorable, biblical insights for handling challenges and playing with God’s purposes in mind. Written from a competitor’s point of view, the entries motivate athletes to dig deeper into the Bible and commit to regular spiritual training for life, both on and off the field. Read more here.
Fellowship of Christian Athletes recently announced that FCA President and CEO Les Steckel will retire at year-end, and FCA’s current Executive Director of Field Ministry, Shane Williamson, will take the helm as president and CEO on Jan. 1, 2017. Williamson has been involved with FCA for 24 years, and Steckel will depart FCA after 12 years of outstanding service and whole-hearted dedication to the ministry.
To interview a representative from Fellowship of Christian Athletes, contact Beth Harrison at 610-584-1096, ext. 104, Media@HamiltonStrategies.com, or Deborah Hamilton at 215-815-7716 or 610-584-1096, ext. 102.
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes’ (FCA) vision is to see the world impacted for Jesus Christ through the influence of coaches and athletes. Its mission is to present to coaches and athletes, and all whom they influence, the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church. FCA’s guiding values are integrity, serving, teamwork and excellence.
Since 1954, FCA has challenged coaches and athletes to impact the world for Jesus Christ. FCA is cultivating Christian principles in local communities nationwide by encouraging, equipping and empowering others to serve as examples and to make a difference. Reaching approximately two million people annually on the professional, college, high school, junior high and youth levels, FCA focuses its efforts on its Four Cs of Ministry: Coaches, Campus, Camps and Community.
- FCA Coaches Ministry focuses on ministering to the heart of the coach first, and then supporting coaches as they engage with FCA’s Four Cs through huddles, events, training and resources.
- The school campus is one of the most strategic mission fields with the vast majority of all youth passing through this portal. FCA Campus Ministry focuses on equipping, enabling, empowering and encouraging coaches, student athletes and adult leaders to impact and influence their campus for Christ.
- FCA Camps are a time of “inspiration and perspiration” for coaches and athletes to reach their potential by offering comprehensive athletic, spiritual, and leadership training through seven types of Camps: Sports, Leadership, Coaches, Power, Partnership, Team and International Camps.
- FCA Community Ministry is the off-campus opportunity to reach coaches and athletes for Christ through the club and recreation sport environment.