For Immediate Release
February 13, 2017
Deborah Hamilton, Hamilton Strategies, 215.815.7716, 610.584.1096, ext. 102, or Beth Harrison, 610.584.1096, ext. 104, Media@HamiltonStrategies.com
Fellowship of Christian Athletes Sees Another Impactful Year with International Ministry
FCA International Serving in 60 Countries Through 133 Global Leaders
KANSAS CITY, Mo.—“The Gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world.”
This Bible verse from Colossians 1:6 is the backbone and the ongoing prayer of Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA, www.fca.org) International, which reached tens of thousands of coaches and athletes for Christ in 2016.
FCA International is looking back on its global impact, as well as looking ahead to all the ways the ministry will touch even more lives in 2017 and beyond.
FCA International is serving in 60 countries with 133 in-country leaders and countless volunteers who spread the Good News of Jesus Christ to all corners of the globe. FCA supports initiatives and partnerships that provide opportunities for leaders in sport ministries within their own countries by equipping them with the programs, services, support, resources and tools to grow their ministries.
“The 2016 story for FCA International was the growth and development of in-country leaders to take spiritual ground in the realm of sport,” said FCA Executive Director of International Ministry Dan Britton. “God continues to reach coaches and athletes around the world through FCA, and we are blessed and excited to see significant growth through committed local leaders who each have passion to reach their own nation.”
In 2016, FCA International touched thousands of lives, including 5,542 coaches and athletes who indicated decisions for Christ. Internationally, the growth of FCA Camps also exploded, with 284 camps reaching 34,005 campers in 45 countries. Sport continues to be a universal language to reach the hearts of coaches and athletes around the world. The fun and comforting atmosphere of sport camps provides chances for deep discussion and opportunities for campers and coaches to hear the gospel. The FCA International Huddle program has also grown to 1,613 Huddles reaching 34,378 individuals.
Additionally, FCA International continued to develop resources and meet specific needs of published translations, including a Japanese Baseball Bible, Chinese Sports Devotional Bible and Thai Sports New Testaments for our East Asia leaders to distribute. The first Athlete’s Handbook was created in Spanish to support FCA’s fast-growing ministry in the Latin America Global Region.
Another way FCA made international impact in 2016 was through its Coaches Ministry, helping coaches capture the hearts of their athletes. Participation in this coaching strategy has surged, sharpening the leadership focus on coaches as key leaders poised for best impact. FCA established two Coaches Ministry Academies in Europe and East Asia in 2016, and FCA International leaders hosted 83 workshops in 27 countries to reach more than 3,000 coaches.
Across the globe, the feedback from those impacted by FCA International is amazing:
- “Had God not moved through FCA’s vision to have an international outreach, I never would have ended up in Korea. Now that it happened, I feel my heart is permanently set there. We’d like to partner with FCA Korea for the long haul and believe that this is the start of something special.”—U.S. Staff
- “I love sports and I love Christ, and I wanted to combine these things.”—Ukraine Leader
- On the long road of sports ministry in his country: “I don’t take it as a difficulty—it’s a call of God. I see it as a challenge to move in our land for the Kingdom. I take it as a responsibility for the gospel’s sake.”—India Leader
- “Let us play sports for the glory of God and enjoy the game. It is such an encouragement that God is really at work through something as simple as sports. Changed hearts, to bring people to the Lord, brings a much needed change of attitude and lives.”—Ghana Leader
Those who want to connect to FCA International can become involved in three ways:
- Pray: Select an FCA International ministry and pray over its specific needs and requests. Visit www.FCAworld.org/pray.
- Give: Learn how you can give your resources, time, skills and finances to invest in a specific FCA International ministry. Visit www.FCAworld.org/give.
- Go: Learn about upcoming opportunities and trips to serve in one of FCA’s international fields. Visit www.FCAworld.org/go.
To interview a representative from Fellowship of Christian Athletes, contact Deborah Hamilton at 215-815-7716 or 610-584-1096, ext. 102, or Beth Harrison at 610-584-1096, ext. 104, Media@HamiltonStrategies.com.
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes’ (FCA) vision is to see the world impacted for Jesus Christ through the influence of coaches and athletes. Its mission is to present to coaches and athletes, and all whom they influence, the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church. FCA’s values include Integrity, Serving, Teamwork and Excellence.
Since 1954, FCA has challenged coaches and athletes to impact the world for Jesus Christ. FCA is cultivating Christian principles in local communities nationwide by encouraging, equipping and empowering others to serve as examples and to make a difference. Reaching approximately two million people annually on the professional, college, high school, junior high and youth levels, FCA focuses its ministry efforts on building relationships with coaches and athletes in order that they might trust Jesus, honor God in their lives and help others do the same, ultimately becoming a “full-circle follower” of Jesus Christ. FCA reaches coaches and athletes through Huddles, events, training and resources.