As The Tide® Celebrates Their 75th Year, They Look Back at Where It All Started and How It Continues to Change the World
August 9, 2021
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa.— Seventy-five years ago, Reverend Charlie Byers set out to put the Gospel message on the airwaves. What came from this vision was “The Gospel Tide Hour,” debuting in 1946 from Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. The initial goal was to reach the local community with the Good News of Christ, and the people in the area clamored to hear biblical truths in their own homes over the radio.
Fast forward 75 years later, and what was “The Gospel Tide Hour” has become The Tide® (www.thetide.org), a global ministry that shares the Gospel daily in over 30 different languages on three continents. The Tide® reaches millions of people including those in Afghanistan, Albania, Bhutan, India, Kosovo, Mozambique, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand, and Zimbabwe.
Says Don Shenk, Director of The Tide®, “The excitement people in Chambersburg experienced in 1946 when they heard the gospel through ‘The Gospel Tide Hour’ is mirrored and magnified today as people around the globe find joy and hope as they hear of salvation through Christ in their own language—many for the first time.”
Looking ahead to the next 75 years, The Tide® ministry and its partners will focus on the core foundationsof
“The Tide Diamond Vision”:
- Amplify – The Tide ministry will increase ministry initiatives so that more people can experience God’s grace.
- Magnify – The Tide ministry will work to grow its support base to an expanded demographic.
- Solidify – The Tide ministry will develop and supply more resources to help new believers to grow in their faith and live in right relationship with God.
- Verify – The Tide ministry will measure the effectiveness of its activities to both manage them well and to demonstrate the efficient stewardship of resources.
- Glorify – The Tide ministry will strive to ensure that all it does to achieve its vision will bring glory to God.
For more information about The Tide broadcast projects, history, radio programs around the world, special year-long campaigns, the weekly Global Update radio features or other news, visit its website at www.thetide.org or its Facebook page. Read more about The Tide ministry and Director Don Shenk here.
In addition, The Tide ministry is always actively looking for people godly and manly enough to take up the 2021-2022 “Year Beard” challenge. Visit www.YearBeard.org for background and to meet some of the participants who are growing out their facial hair to raise awareness and financial support to help The Tide ministry reach an additional 1 million people with the name of Jesus next year.
To schedule interviews with Don Shenk, director of The Tide® global radio ministry, contact Media@HamiltonStrategies.com, Beth Harrison, 610.584.1096, ext. 105, or Deborah Hamilton, ext. 102.