Hundreds of Fellowship of Christian Athletes Camps Underway, Reaching 100,000+ Coaches and Athletes
More Than 700 FCA Camps Kick Off in At Least 40 States and 45 Countries
KANSAS CITY, Mo.—The first official day of summer is just around the corner, but Camping season is already in full swing for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA, www.fca.org), which kicked off hundreds of Camps just after Memorial Day this year. At more than 700 Camps around the world, tens of thousands of coaches, athletes and teams will work on their athletic skills while strengthening their faith in Christ.
FCA’s 2018 Camps theme is “Strong,” based on the Bible verse from 2 Timothy 4:7: “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful” (NLT). The “Strong” theme focuses on the fact that believers serve a strong God, and His followers are called to be like Him in every area of their lives—including sports.
“God calls us to be solid in our faith, to fight the good fight with perseverance, and surround ourselves with a firm support system in order to finish strong,” said FCA President and CEO Shane Williamson. “With Jesus Christ and His Word transforming us daily, we can be strong 24/7! Looking back on last year’s incredible Camps season, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes is again honored and blessed to carry out the Lord’s work, especially through our amazing Camps program around the world.”
Last summer, more than 113,000 participated in 780 FCA Camps in 45 states and 41 countries. FCA Camps take the best attributes of an athletic-focused camp and a spiritual-focused camp and combine them into an athletic/spiritual experience like no other. FCA Camps also remove athletes and coaches from the routine of their sport, job or community and place them into an exciting, healthy, athletic environment that allows them to pursue their passion for sport and see Christ’s passion for them.
Throughout the summer of 2017, 9,417 coaches and athletes made first-time commitments to Christ, and 10,997 recommitted their lives to Christ. More than 300 of the Camps occurred internationally, and the 2017 overall attendance of 113,000-plus was an increase of more than 7,200 over 2016.
The various types of FCA Camps, planned around the world this summer, include:
- Coaches Camps challenge coaches in their faith and family life, and allow coaches to be spiritually, relationally and professionally refreshed. Coaches Camps are for single and married coaches and their families and are designed to minister, to equip and to encourage. FCA Camps minister to coaches through Bible studies, small groups, fellowship, prayer support, discipleship and mentoring.
- Leadership Camps train athletes to be spiritual leaders in their personal lives, on their teams and on their campuses. These Camps are geared toward student-athletes, FCA Huddle Coaches and volunteers who serve as leaders. Camps focus on teaching practical skills for Christian growth, developing effective leaders and preparing participants for FCA Huddle ministry.
- Partnership Camps work with other ministries and organizations involved in sports ministry. At Partnership Camps, FCA develops a relationship with an existing Camp to provide the spiritual and/or the athletic aspect of the program. This can include FCA Camp curriculum, FCA resources, speakers, Huddle meetings and staff.
- Power Camps develop young athletes in their faith and their sport. Power Camps are typically for young athletes ages 8 to 12 who want to develop their sports skills. These Camps provide excellent instruction and competition through sports-specific and multi-sport focus, and are normally day Camps that involve the local community.
- Sports Camps specifically focus on “Training the Total Athlete” and develop athletes mentally, physically and spiritually. Sports Camps are for athletes and coaches who want to develop their athletic skills through outstanding instruction, skill development and intense competition.
- Team Camps equip teams with spiritual principles through competition and are designed to impact coaches and athletes for Christ through team competition. Coaches enroll their players to attend this Camp as a team. Team Camps are a wonderful outreach opportunity, and coaches benefit greatly by evaluating their team’s talent. Team Camps serve the coaches by providing an incredible Camp experience for their players while building team unity.
Visit the 2018 FCA Camps site and watch the “Strong” theme video here. FCA’s easy-to-use Camps website allows coaches, athletes, parents and teams to find Camps by sport, date or location. FCA also offers a special website dedicated to this summer’s Camps season highlighting the theme of “Strong.”
To find FCA Camps in specific areas or to inquire about volunteering at an FCA Camp, visit www.fcacamps.org. Read more about Fellowship of Christian Athletes here, visit FCA’s website at www.fca.org, its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/fcafans or its Twitter feed @fcanews.