Legendary Apologist and Author Josh McDowell Joins Dr. Alex McFarland for 2018 Truth for a New Generation Conference
TNG Also Welcoming Fox News’ Todd Starnes and Lauren Green, Faith Investigator J. Warner Wallace, American Family Association’s Abraham Hamilton and More in North Carolina on March 23-24
GREENSBORO, N.C.—In college, Alex McFarland’s friend asked for help in defending his Christian beliefs to a secular professor. Alex told his classmate he would research some answers and get back to him. He headed to the college bookstore and picked up “More Than a Carpenter” by Josh McDowell, and in helping his friend stand up for his beliefs, McFarland fell in love with apologetics.
Three decades later, religion and culture expert, national radio host and author Dr. Alex McFarland (www.AlexMcFarland.com) has shared the stage many times with the legendary apologist and author Josh McDowell. And now, McDowell is joining McFarland for the 2018 Truth for a New Generation (TNG) on March 23-24 at Life Community Church in the greater Greensboro area of North Carolina.
“There is perhaps no one who has had more influence in the field of apologetics than Josh McDowell,” said McFarland, who is also Director for Christian Worldview and Apologetics at the Christian Worldview Center of North Greenville University in Greenville, S.C. “I am an apologist today due to the impact the work of Josh McDowell had on my life. A new believer at age 21, my college friends were firing objections at me. Just three days into my Christian walk, I bought Josh McDowell’s books and began to read them over and over—footnotes and all! His books became my tutor, and my skeptical friends began to be won to Christ. Ultimately, the direction of my future was set—I would become an apologist for Christianity. I know firsthand the power of Josh’s research and personal example, and I’m thrilled that attendees to the 2018 Truth for a New Generation conference will be able to personally experience his wisdom and insight.”
Josh McDowell has been at the forefront of cultural trends and groundbreaking ministry for more than 50 years. His ministry serves and equips the body of Christ in raising generations of purpose-driven Christians who know what they believe, why it is true and how to live it out.
A trailblazer for truth and relationships, McDowell shares the essentials of the Christian faith in everyday language so that youth, families, churches, leaders and individuals of all ages are prepared for the life of faith and the work of the ministry. Since 1961, McDowell has delivered more than 27,000 talks to over 25 million people in 125 countries. He has written or co-authored 148 books, including “More Than a Carpenter” (27 million copies have been distributed) and “New Evidence That Demands a Verdict,” recognized by World Magazine as one of the top 40 books of the 20th century and one of the 13 most influential books of the last 50 years on Christian thought.
As a young man, McDowell considered himself an agnostic, believing Christianity was worthless. However, when challenged to intellectually examine the claims of Christianity, he discovered compelling, overwhelming evidence for the reliability of the Christian faith. After trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, his life changed dramatically as he experienced the power of God’s love.
In 1961, McDowell joined the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ International. Not long after, he started the Josh McDowell Ministry to reach young people worldwide with the truth and love of Jesus. As he traveled to other countries, he saw that where people were sick, homeless, and hungry, words were not enough. In 1991, he founded Operation Carelift to meet the physical and spiritual needs he discovered in orphanages, hospitals, schools and prisons in the countries of the former Soviet Union. Since that time, Operation Carelift has delivered humanitarian aid (food, clothing, and medical supplies) worth more than $46 million. Nearly 1 million children have received school supplies, food items, hygiene items and toys.
Here at home, McDowell and his team have created many cutting-edge, live events to help young people stand strong and firm in their faith in the face of a rapidly changing culture. These have often developed into full-blown campaigns, such as: Six Hours with Josh, Why Wait?, Counter the Culture, Right From Wrong and True Foundations.
In spite of all the honors and awards he has received, McDowell will tell anyone that his greatest joys and pleasures come from his family. He and his wife Dottie have been married 46 years. They have four children and 10 grandchildren.
The theme of the McFarland’s 2018 Truth for a New Generation conference is “Save a Nation” and will also feature the following speakers:
- Todd Starnes—The popular Fox News commentator and columnist is heard daily on hundreds of radio stations around the nation. Starnes also makes regular appearances on Fox News Channel, including on “Fox & Friends,” and on Fox Business Network. He is the author of several books, including “The Deplorables’ Guide to Making America Great Again” and “God Less America,” and is a frequent speaker. He recently debuted the three-hour, daily “Todd Starnes Show” on Fox News Radio and has covers a number of high-profile stories, taking him from Wall Street to the White House.
- Lauren Green—Currently serving as Chief Religion Correspondent for the Fox News Channel, Green is famous for her straightforward approach to journalism and faith stories. Prior to joining FNC in 1996, she served as a weekend news anchor and correspondent in Chicago and assignment reporter in St. Paul. She has interviewed some of the most prominent faith leaders across the globe, as well as the most well-known people in the classical music world. Outside her career at FNC, Green is also a well-known concert pianist.
- J. Warner Wallace—As a cold-case homicide detective, popular national speaker and best-selling author, Wallace continues to consult on cold-case investigations while serving as a senior fellow at the Colson Center for Christian Worldview. He is also a faculty member at Biola University and Summit Ministries. A former atheist, Wallace took an expansive look at the evidence for the Christian worldview and determined that Christianity was demonstrably true. Throughout his career, he has served as a youth pastor and church planter, then built the Cold-Case Christianity website, blog and podcast as a place to post and talk about what he discovered related to the evidence supporting Christianity.
- Kamal Saleem—Having come from among them, Saleem is uniquely equipped with tremendous insight and a wealth of knowledge concerning the true culture and agenda of radical Islam. He is well-versed in the Holy Bible, Koran, Hadith and Sira (Shariah Law). He believes radical Islam is the most broadly disguised present danger to Christians, Jews and all non-Muslim people of the world. Saleem carries a message from God to awaken the Church through the truth, education and relationship.
- Abraham Hamilton III—A husband, father of four, lawyer, home-school dad and Bible teacher, Hamilton serves American Family Association as its General Counsel and Public Policy Analyst. He hosts “The Hamilton Corner” American Family Radio and has an undergraduate degree in New Testament Biblical Literature from Oral Roberts University and a Juris Doctor degree from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law. In the legal profession, Abe served as a criminal prosecutor, handling major felony prosecutions at the trial level. Additionally, Hamilton’s ministerial focuses include marriage, family, apologetics, biblical worldview training, discipleship and preaching.
- Juan Valdes—With a love for the Lord and a passion to reach both English- and Spanish-speaking people with God’s message, Valdes is the senior pastor of a Spanish-speaking congregation in Florida and has worked at a Christian school as both a chaplain and a teacher for more than 20 years. As an educated and experienced teacher of apologetics, Valdes has taught Bible and philosophy at the high school level, and theology, Bible and apologetics at the seminary level. He speaks regularly in the Miami area, across the country and internationally, at conferences, church services and events.
This year’s conference will also feature a screening of the American Family Association feature-length film, “The God Who Speaks,” for which McFarland was a contributor, as well as a VIP “Gold Circle” seating, which will allow participants to interact with the speakers.
Previous TNG conferences drew overflow crowds, and early registration is encouraged. A special early-bird rate is available through Jan. 30. For more information, a schedule and registration and lunch details, visit www.truthforanewgeneration.com. Truth for a New Generation is presented by Alex McFarland Ministries, American Family Association, American Family Radio, North Greenville University and Journey Christian Magazine.
View the media page for Alex McFarland here. For more information on Dr. Alex McFarland, visit www.AlexMcFarland.com or follow him on Facebook or on Twitter @AlexMcFarland. For more on the TNG conference, visit www.TruthforaNewGeneration.com.