For Immediate Release November 14, 2016
Beth Harrison, Hamilton Strategies, 610.584.1096, ext. 104, Media@HamiltonStrategies.com or Deborah Hamilton, 215.815.7716, 610.584.1096, ext. 102
Fellowship of Christian Athletes Makes Eternal Impact with Fields of Faith
More than 192,000 Gather on Over 500 Athletic Fields Across the Country to Commit Their Lives to Christ
KANSAS CITY, Mo.—Thousands of lives were changed eternally on more than 500 athletic fields across the country last month, as Fellowship of Christian Athletes’ (FCA, www.fca.org) student-led Fields of Faith events set a record number—with 192,000 in attendance!
In mid-October, the 13th annual Fields of Faith gatherings kicked off around the nation. The student-driven, student-led times of worship and prayer allow students to challenge each other to pray, read their Bible and commit their lives to Christ.
In all, 192,000 attended events on 519 fields, where 7,414 made first-time faith commitments, 8,612 recommitted their lives to Christ, and 8,781 committed to reading their Bible.
“It’s amazing that Fields of Faith has grown to welcome more than 190,000 people to athletic fields where they can pray and worship together,” said FCA Executive Vice President of Ministry Advancement Jeff Martin. “We are so thankful for the students who feel passionate about sharing their faith with their fellow students so they, too, can see how Christ can impact their lives. There’s no doubt that God is working through these young people and will continue to do so for years to come.”
Fields of Faith began in 2004 under Martin as student-led peer-to-peer gatherings that inspire students to refuel their faith and get back to the basics of reading God’s Word through worship and personal testimonies, sparking a spiritual movement for God. Since 2004, Fields of Faith events have impacted well over a million people.
Attendees were encouraged to share their Fields of Faith experiences on Twitter, and @fieldsoffaith was inundated with staff, student and volunteer feedback, testimonials and photos, some of which is highlighted on the 2016 Fields of Faith impact report. Comments included:
- #FieldsOfFaith was a great success! Inspiring message and great fellowship with students from other schools. (2 Corinthians 5)
- First #FieldsOfFaith last night & it was one for the books. It was amazing to watch God move among these students
- Tons of students making a confession of Faith! #FOF16 #FieldsOfFaith
- Loved seeing kids and parents come down to the field to pray over one another! #FOF16 #FCA
- Still not over how amazing our God is #FieldsOfFaith
- So much boldness, so many testaments of God’s faithfulness, so many answered prayers, so much love. #FieldsOfFaith
Another way FCA reaches young athletes and coaches is through its popular and successful Camps program. In 2016, FCA also saw record-breaking Camps numbers, with 106,268 coaches and athletes attending 740 Camps around the world. The 2016 Camp theme of “RISE” focused on the Bible verse Joshua 1:9 and encouraged competitors and coaches to rise up and take their place on the field—and in life. Over the summer at Camp events, 8,788 coaches and athletes made first-time commitments to Christ, and 11,256 recommitted their lives to Christ at Camps in 40 states and 45 countries. The 2016 attendance of 106,000-plus was an increase of more than 10,000 over 2015. For more on FCA Camps, visit www.fca.org/what-is-fca/camp.
Fellowship of Christian Athletes recently announced that FCA President and CEO Les Steckel will retire at year-end, and FCA’s current Executive Director of Field Ministry, Shane Williamson, will take the helm as president and CEO on Jan. 1, 2017. Williamson has been involved with FCA for 24 years, and Steckel will depart FCA after 12 years of outstanding service and whole-hearted dedication to the ministry.
To interview a representative from Fellowship of Christian Athletes, contact Beth Harrison at 610-584-1096, ext. 104, Media@HamiltonStrategies.com, or Deborah Hamilton at 215-815-7716 or 610-584-1096, ext. 102.
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes’ (FCA) vision is to see the world impacted for Jesus Christ through the influence of coaches and athletes. Its mission is to present to coaches and athletes, and all whom they influence, the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church. FCA’s guiding values are integrity, serving, teamwork and excellence.
Since 1954, FCA has challenged coaches and athletes to impact the world for Jesus Christ. FCA is cultivating Christian principles in local communities nationwide by encouraging, equipping and empowering others to serve as examples and to make a difference. Reaching approximately two million people annually on the professional, college, high school, junior high and youth levels, FCA focuses its efforts on its Four Cs of Ministry: Coaches, Campus, Camps and Community.
- FCA Coaches Ministry focuses on ministering to the heart of the coach first, and then supporting coaches as they engage with FCA’s Four Cs through huddles, events, training and resources.
- The school campus is one of the most strategic mission fields with the vast majority of all youth passing through this portal. FCA Campus Ministry focuses on equipping, enabling, empowering and encouraging coaches, student athletes and adult leaders to impact and influence their campus for Christ.
- FCA Camps are a time of “inspiration and perspiration” for coaches and athletes to reach their potential by offering comprehensive athletic, spiritual, and leadership training through seven types of Camps: Sports, Leadership, Coaches, Power, Partnership, Team and International Camps.
- FCA Community Ministry is the off-campus opportunity to reach coaches and athletes for Christ through the club and recreation sport environment.