The Tide® ministry director: ‘Our mission still remains relevant, and we are seeing ongoing impact all around the globe’
August 1, 2022
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa.— In August of 1946, Reverend Charlie Byers set out to spread the Gospel via his radio show “The Gospel Tide Hour.” Broadcasting from Chambersburg, PA, Byers started locally but with a vision of sharing the Good News around the world. In 1978, The Tide® ministry (www.thetide.org) began producing global broadcasts, recorded in the languages of listeners, across Southern Africa.
Today, The Tide® ministry has a massive impact through its radio broadcasts all around the world, with unique Gospel programming spreading the Good News of Christ daily to millions in over 20 different languages on three different continents.
Don Shenk, director of The Tide® Ministry, commented, “The longevity of this ministry is astounding, and we give all glory to God — it really shows that there is a hunger for the Gospel all around the world, and we here at The Tide® are humbled by the fact that Christ has used this ministry over the past 76 years to reach the lost. Our mission still remains relevant, and we are seeing ongoing impact all around the globe.”
The effect of The Tide® global radio ministry is undeniable, with thousands coming to Christ over the past seven decades by hearing the Gospel daily through various radio stations and media players around the world.
One listener stated, “I listen to your radio program regularly. My life is changed through your radio program, and I have received a new hope in my life. I had been disturbed in my life but now my life is changed. I trust in the Lord and want to live for Him. Please pray for my spiritual growth and send me some literature.”
Another wrote in, saying, “Last week for the first time, I got an opportunity to listen to your radio program in my own language. It is an interesting program, and I will try to listen to it again. I want to know more about Jesus Christ.”
Looking ahead to the next seven decades, The Tide® ministry and its partners will focus on the core foundationsof “The Tide Diamond Vision”:
- Amplify – The Tide® ministry will increase ministry initiatives so that more people can experience God’s grace.
- Magnify – The Tide® ministry will work to grow its support base to an expanded demographic.
- Solidify – The Tide® ministry will develop and supply more resources to help new believers to grow in their faith and live in right relationship with God.
- Verify – The Tide® ministry will measure the effectiveness of its activities to both manage them well and to demonstrate the efficient stewardship of resources.
- Glorify – The Tide® ministry will strive to ensure that all it does to achieve its vision will bring glory to God.
For more information about The Tide® ministry broadcast projects, history, radio programs around the world, special year-long campaigns, the weekly Global Update radio features or other news, visit its website at www.thetide.org or its Facebook page.