Parents Faced with Frightening New Challenges; Who Will Communicate Truth to Their Children?
‘Counter Culture Mom’ Tina Marie Griffin Joins Dr. Alex McFarland for March 23-25 Truth for a New Generation Conference
GREENSBORO, N.C.—Every parent shuddered last week at the thought of being at a school, waiting for their son or daughter to exit—hopefully and prayerfully unscathed—after a tragic event like the one in Parkland, Florida.
Parenting is becoming more difficult and more frightening, as the culture is becoming increasingly secular, hostile to faith and harder to navigate for young people.
For decades, Dr. Alex McFarland (www.AlexMcFarland.com) has been ministering to young people, their parents and their pastors, and is facing new concerns from parents, who are asking tougher questions about how to safely raise their kids.
To that end, McFarland is welcoming a knowledgeable and passionate lineup to the 2018 Truth for a New Generation (TNG) conference for two days in North Carolina next month. Among the speakers is Tina Marie Griffin, dubbed the “Counter Culture Mom,” who will address the pressing topic, “How Hollywood is Reaching Kids.”
“Long before this tragic shooting in Florida, I met Tina Marie Griffin and was blown away at her knowledge and communication style regarding how pop culture is eating away at young people’s worldviews,” said McFarland, who is also Director for Christian Worldview and Apologetics at the Christian Worldview Center of North Greenville University in Greenville, South Carolina. “Today’s youth are pumped full of a secular worldview pushed on them by media, gaming, music and movies. In some sad cases, Hollywood has more of an effect on teens than their parents. We must pray for God’s guidance about the increasingly crucial role we play in young people’s lives—and how we can be a counterculture influence and reveal the truth of Jesus Christ.”
Griffin is a former actress who reveals how pop culture is eroding the foundational development of today’s youth. She is a leading media expert and has traveled the world to show how pop culture and the media glamorizes harmful behaviors without showing the consequences. She has shared her eye-opening message, “Hollywood Exposed,” at school assemblies, parent meetings, colleges, leadership conferences, music festivals, camps, cruise ships, church services and other venues. Griffin has worked on multiple television shows and movies, as well as for L’Oreal Cosmetics and Limited Too. She was also a contestant in the preliminary Miss America pageant.
Also joining McFarland and Griffin at the March 23-24 Truth for a New Generation event at Life Community Church in the greater Greensboro area of North Carolina will be the following speakers:
- Todd Starnes—The popular Fox News commentator and columnist is heard daily on hundreds of radio stations around the nation. Starnes also makes regular appearances on Fox News Channel, including on “Fox & Friends,” and on Fox Business Network. He is the author of several books, including “The Deplorables’ Guide to Making America Great Again” and “God Less America,” and is a frequent speaker. He recently debuted the three-hour, daily “Todd Starnes Show” on Fox News Radio and has covers a number of high-profile stories, taking him from Wall Street to the White House.
- Lauren Green—Currently serving as Chief Religion Correspondent for the Fox News Channel, Green is famous for her straightforward approach to journalism and faith stories. Prior to joining FNC in 1996, she served as a weekend news anchor and correspondent in Chicago and assignment reporter in St. Paul. She has interviewed some of the most prominent faith leaders across the globe, as well as the most well-known people in the classical music world. Outside her career at FNC, Green is also a well-known concert pianist.
- Josh McDowell—A trailblazer for truth and relationships, McDowell has been at the forefront of cultural trends and ground-breaking ministry for over five decades. He shares the essentials of the Christian faith in everyday language so that youth, families, churches, leaders and individuals of all ages are prepared for the life of faith and the work of the ministry. Since 1961, McDowell has delivered more than 27,000 talks to over 25 million people in 125 countries. He has written or co-authored 148 books, including “More Than a Carpenter” and “New Evidence That Demands a Verdict,” recognized by World Magazine as one of the top 40 books of the 20th century.
- J. Warner Wallace—As a cold-case homicide detective, popular national speaker and best-selling author, Wallace continues to consult on cold-case investigations while serving as a senior fellow at the Colson Center for Christian Worldview. He is also a faculty member at Biola University and Summit Ministries. A former atheist, Wallace took an expansive look at the evidence for the Christian worldview and determined that Christianity was demonstrably true. Throughout his career, he has served as a youth pastor and church planter, then built the Cold-Case Christianity website, blog and podcast as a place to post and talk about what he discovered related to the evidence supporting Christianity.
- Abraham Hamilton III—A husband, father of four, lawyer, home-school dad and Bible teacher, Hamilton serves American Family Association as its General Counsel and Public Policy Analyst. He hosts “The Hamilton Corner” American Family Radio and has an undergraduate degree in New Testament Biblical Literature from Oral Roberts University and a Juris Doctor degree from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law. In the legal profession, Abe served as a criminal prosecutor, handling major felony prosecutions at the trial level. Additionally, Hamilton’s ministerial focuses include marriage, family, apologetics, biblical worldview training, discipleship and preaching.
- Kamal Saleem—Having come from among them, Saleem is uniquely equipped with tremendous insight and a wealth of knowledge concerning the true culture and agenda of radical Islam. He is well-versed in the Holy Bible, Koran, Hadith and Sira (Shariah Law). He believes radical Islam is the most broadly disguised present danger to Christians, Jews and all non-Muslim people of the world. Saleem carries a message from God to awaken the Church through the truth, education and relationship.
- Juan Valdes—With a love for the Lord and a passion to reach both English- and Spanish-speaking people with God’s message, Valdes is the senior pastor of a Spanish-speaking congregation in Florida and has worked at a Christian school as both a chaplain and a teacher for more than 20 years. As an educated and experienced teacher of apologetics, Valdes has taught Bible and philosophy at the high school level, and theology, Bible and apologetics at the seminary level. He speaks regularly in the Miami area, across the country and internationally, at conferences, church services and events.
This year’s conference will also feature a screening of the American Family Association feature-length film, “The God Who Speaks,” for which McFarland was a contributor, as well as a VIP “Gold Circle” seating, which will allow participants to interact with the speakers.
For more information, a schedule and registration and lunch details, visit www.truthforanewgeneration.com. Truth for a New Generation is presented by Alex McFarland Ministries, American Family Association, American Family Radio, North Greenville University and Journey Christian Magazine. The host is Life Community Church, 4900 W. Wendover Avenue, Jamestown, North Carolina.
View the media page for Alex McFarland here. For more information on Dr. Alex McFarland, visit www.AlexMcFarland.com or follow him on Facebook or on Twitter @AlexMcFarland. For more on the TNG conference, visit www.TruthforaNewGeneration.com.