Fellowship of Christian Athletes Celebrates the ‘Life-Changing Impact’ Experienced by So Many This Season and Beyond
August 16, 2021
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — As many children across the U.S. begin to think of school days ahead, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA, www.fca.org) is continuing to celebrate a 2021 summer Camps experience that has brought—and is still bringing—God’s untold blessings on thousands of coaches and athletes worldwide. Plenty of FCA Camps are still in session throughout August and into September and attendance is pointing toward another record-high season.
The numbers tell their own story. For the immensely successful 2019 Camps season (the last regular Camp season before COVID-19), FCA welcomed an astonishing 89,323 coaches and athletes who attended 805 Camps in 42 states across the U.S., plus 92 nations around the world. That was nearly double the number of countries with FCA Camps in 2018.At these FCA Camps in 2019, 20,526 people made faith decisions for Christ.
Says FCA President and CEO Shane Williamson, “We thank God for the ability to impact lives through hundreds of FCA Camps every summer. Since 1954, our goal has been to transform the world for Christ through the influence of coaches and athletes. More than six decades later, we are still amazed that lives are being changed through the love of Christ experienced at Camps, and we pray these amazing experiences will continue for many years to come.”
This summer of 2021, both FCA campers and leaders revealed the power of their Camps experience:
- “My favorite part is how super encouraging it is—the worship and being around people who aren’t scared to talk about Jesus. They’re proud to show their faith.”
- “You can tell God’s here. You can see Him through everyone and how they act.”
- “This is my favorite part of summer. I came to Camp for God and the kids. I found a closeness with God. I see God in the Huddle leaders. As they lead me, I get life advice and spiritual advice from them. I brought 16 campers with me this year. We need to keep Camp alive and we need to keep kids coming.”
- “I knew the Bible well, but I had the ‘head’ knowledge, not ‘heart’ knowledge. I struggled with pride and selfishness, but things at Camp got me thinking. My sophomore year, I decided to follow Christ wholeheartedly. Camp provides that same opportunity for everyone—the need for knowledge of God in both head and heart.”
And this standout observation from a recent FCA Camps leader is particularly memorable as well:
- “If you think you are just a coach, you are missing the purpose. It is our honor to become a coach who empowers many young athletes to reach their potential in sports and in their life as they live and serve others in God’s purpose.”
FCA’s theme for 2021 is Pursue, based on 1 Timothy 6:11: “Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness.” FCA encourages its members to pursue God’s use of His Word as an anchor, grounding Christians as they look to His Kingdom.
Since 1956, the impact on coaches and athletes has been the main focus of FCA Camps, with each Camp offering fun, outstanding sports training, inspiring speakers, strong friendships, and lasting change. View the 2019 FCA Camps video here and browse camps by location, sport or date at www.fcacamps.org.
Read more about Fellowship of Christian Athletes here, visit FCA’s website at www.fca.org, its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/TheFCATeam or its Twitter feed https://twitter.com/TheFCATeam.
To interview a Fellowship of Christian Athletes representative, contact Media@HamiltonStrategies.com, Jeff Tolson, 610.584.1096, ext. 108, or Deborah Hamilton, ext. 102.