Don Shenk: ‘Even with such heavy persecution in the region, the people in that region are hungry for the hope of the Gospel’
October 10, 2022
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa.— As the Taliban continues its restriction on the people of Afghanistan, research shows that only 0.1% of people in the region admit to being a Christian. The Taliban historically has severely persecuted believers in Christ, as one source reports Christians being killed just for having a Bible app on their phone. Afghanistan now ranks number one in the world for Christian persecution.
The Tide® (www.thetide.org) ministry, a global outreach program that uses broadcast media to spread the Gospel in native languages all around the world, is aware of the persecution Afghani Christians are facing and is more determined than ever to share the Gospel in the places that need it the most.
“The light of Christ shines the brightest in the darkest places of the world,” stated Don Shenk, director of The Tide® ministry. “Even with such heavy persecution in the region, the people in that region are hungry for the hope of the Gospel, and we are dedicated to sharing the love of Christ through our radio broadcasting.”
The Tide® ministry recently announced that their local radio broadcast “Window of Love,” will also be available in the Pashto language in addition to Dari, the two primary languages in that particular region. The program has the potential to reach over 9 million listeners in Afghanistan alone, not to mention the Pashtun people in neighboring countries.
Shenk commented, “Evangelically, the Pashtun people are considered a Frontier Unreached People Group which means that less than 1% are Christians and essentially have no chance of hearing the Gospel from people within their own community. This is why radio is such an important tool to carry the Gospel into these remote communities.”
For more information about what The Tide® ministry is doing in Afghanistan and the surrounding region, click here.
After over 75 years of Gospel radio broadcasting, The Tide® ministry and its partners will focus on the core foundationsof “The Tide Diamond Vision” for the next seven decades:
- Amplify – The Tide® ministry will increase ministry initiatives so that more people can experience God’s grace.
- Magnify – The Tide® ministry will work to grow its support base to an expanded demographic.
- Solidify – The Tide® ministry will develop and supply more resources to help new believers to grow in their faith and live in right relationship with God.
- Verify – The Tide® ministry will measure the effectiveness of its activities to both manage them well and to demonstrate the efficient stewardship of resources.
- Glorify – The Tide® ministry will strive to ensure that all it does to achieve its vision will bring glory to God.
For more information about The Tide® ministry broadcast projects, history, radio programs around the world, special year-long campaigns, the weekly Global Update radio features or other news, visit its website at www.thetide.org or its Facebook page.