Director Don Shenk: ‘Radio is an important tool to carry the Gospel into these remote communities’
June 6, 2022
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa.—The Tide® (www.TheTide.org) ministry, which broadcasts the Gospel message in over 20 languages on three continents, is continuing its life-altering ministry in Afghanistan, India, and surrounding countries through the use of a Dari language radio broadcast. The Tide® ministry spreads the message of Christ’s hope and wisdom, reaching not only those who already put their faith and trust in Jesus, but also those who may be far from Christ or not yet introduced to His love and grace.
The Dari language program in Afghanistan translates into English as “Window of Love.” The radio program is exactly that — offering an opportunity for those who haven’t heard the Gospel a chance to hear and receive Jesus’ love. The program has the potential to reach over 9 million people in Afghanistan and the surrounding countries.
Life for most people in Afghanistan and the surrounding regions is becoming increasingly difficult. People are desperate for hope and are looking for a light in the ever-increasing darkness. In an area where less than 1% of the population is Christian, religious persecution is extremely high. Reports from partners in India reveal that the local village people have imposed the following restrictions on the new believers:
- They are being prevented from gathering for prayer and fellowship.
- They are not allowed to draw water from the local village well.
- They are banned from purchasing the necessary items from the local market.
- The local village people will not allow The Tide® ministry teachers to visit and counsel the new believers.
Don Shenk, director of The Tide® ministry, commented on the persecution these new believers face. “While we rejoice to hear of new believers, we are grieved to hear that they are being persecuted and forced to live in fear,” Shenk stated. “We call on all Christians to ask God to protect them and to open the door for fellow believers to be permitted to visit them and provide spiritual encouragement and support. We also pray that these new believers are able to stand strong in their faith and that their response will be a testimony that demonstrates the love of God to those who are persecuting them. We fervently hope that this persecution does not discourage others from responding to the Gospel messages we are broadcasting in this region.”
The Tide® ministry is currently celebrating its 75th year of global mission, all while looking forward to the next seven decades with their plan called “The Tide® Diamond Vision:”
- Amplify – The Tide ministry will increase ministry initiatives so that more people can experience God’s grace.
- Magnify – The Tide ministry will work to grow its support base to an expanded demographic.
- Solidify – The Tide ministry will develop and supply more resources to help new believers to grow in their faith and live in right relationship with God.
- Verify – The Tide ministry will measure the effectiveness of its activities to both manage them well and to demonstrate the efficient stewardship of resources.
- Glorify – The Tide ministry will strive to ensure that all it does to achieve its vision will bring glory to God.
For more information about The Tide broadcast projects, history, radio programs around the world, special year-long campaigns, the weekly Global Update radio features or other news, visit its website at www.thetide.org or its Facebook page.
In addition, The Tide ministry is actively looking for people godly and manly enough to take up the 2022 “Year Beard” challenge. Visit www.YearBeard.org for background and to meet some of the participants who are growing out their facial hair to raise awareness and financial support to help The Tide ministry reach an additional 1 million people with the name of Jesus next year.