Seven steps to demonstrate costs of war will be unacceptably high, mitigate dangers to America and its interests if it comes
August 9, 2022
WASHINGTON, D.C.— The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) continues to ratchet up its aggressive behavior towards Taiwan, including in ways that bespeak an intention by Beijing to engage, possibly imminently, in violent action against the freedom-loving people of that island. Such actions include:
- a de facto air and sea blockade in the guise of live-fire exercises;
- ballistic missiles fired in Taiwan’s direction, including three that were deliberately and dangerously flown over the island;
- massive penetrations of Taiwanese airspace and territorial waters, including Taiwan’s 12-mile Exclusive Economic Zone and some in numbers not seen since the 1950s. What is more, three landed within 80 miles of Japan’s southern island;
- simulated land attacks against Taiwan involving both the People’s Liberation Army Navy and Air Force elements;
- battalion-size amphibious exercises off the mainland opposite Taiwan;
- cyberattacks on Taiwanese government ministries
Clearly, like the “Bully of Asia” it is, the CCP is probing to see what, if any, response will be triggered by such hostile operations. It is deeply regrettable, and an invitation to worse, that the U.S. response to date has been largely limited to the rhetorical and appeasing. For example, Biden administration spokesmen have confined themselves to admonishing Beijing that its actions are unwarranted. And, for a second time since Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine — launched in February in collusion with his “no-limits” partner, Xi Jingping — the U.S. Air Force was ordered to cancel a scheduled flight test of its aging Minuteman III ballistic missiles. (See CPDC Member Claudia Rosett’s excellent critique of this pattern of submissive unilateral restraint.)
The Committee on the Present Danger: China (CPDC) believes that seven steps are now required if kinetic warfare with China is to be avoided, if possible, and mitigated, if not. These are:
- The United States must recognize that the Chinese Communist Party is: our mortal enemy; responsible for the deaths a million Americans thanks to its SARS-CoV-2 biological warfare attack; a transnational criminal organization; and a threat that must be defeated.
- To that end, the United States must: adopt a war-footing that will end our dependence on Chinese supply chains for everything from medicines and rare earth minerals to fertilizers and silicon chips; and find genuine alternative sources of supply (not simply Chinese cut-outs in other countries).
- In fact, we must wean ourselves immediately from such vulnerabilities by disengaging from business dealings with China, and by expelling CCP-controlled companies, organizations and their associated personnel and CCP-approved students in the United States.
- We must rebuild our military by ending Biden policies that are taking it down (the subject of a “USA Betrayed” webinar at 1:00 p.m. ET today; register here) and by focusing its funding, energies, training, deployments and acquisitions on defeating the CCP threat. The forces we currently have available to counter China must have that mission as their priority objective and be deployed for offensive, as well as defensive, action. Operationalizing this new direction should include the immediate declaration that U.S. forces will not respect a Chinese blockade of Taiwan (either, de facto or declared).
- The government of the United States at every level must be purged of politicians and officials compromised by the Chinese Communist Party. We simply cannot tolerate power being exercised in our country by those subject to CCP influence or control.
- Financial managers must stop using American investors’ money to underwrite the Chinese Communist threat. (See here for more on immediate steps that must be taken to prevent this from being done with the retirement funds of U.S. federal civilian employees and military personnel, among others whose savings are at asymmetric risk in CCP-controlled companies.)
- We must stand with our allies and partners like Taiwan to resist and roll back the CCP’s global expansion and protect vital U.S. interests. Vital to this mission is restoring America as “the arsenal of democracy” to ensure that our own forces and our friends’ can prevail against the CCP.
The Committee on the Present Danger: China and its Team B III offer candidates for elective office this fall, and those they seek to represent, “The Brief” —a half-hour presentation laying out:
- the Chinese Communist Party’s unprecedented inhumanity to its own people;
- its determination to enslave ours and subject them, if anything, to worse treatment;
- its techniques and progress towards achieving that prerequisite to global CCP domination (notably, through “unrestricted warfare” and biological weapons attack); and
- why the seven steps above are both needed and require an electoral mandate in November akin to that Ronald Reagan received in the 1980 election to roll-back and defeat what he called his generation’s “existential threat to freedom,” i.e., that posed by the last totalitarian Communist threat we faced: the Soviet Union.
For more on The Brief and how candidates and concerned citizens can receive it, visit www.CCPatWar.com.