Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries is grateful to Rep. Mark Baisley for championing transparency, clarity and accountability
February 8, 2022
WASHINGTON D.C. — The Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries (The Alliance, ahcsm.org) commended Colorado Representative Mark Baisley for introducing legislation that protects and informs the public as well as preserving religious liberty for members of Health Care Sharing Ministries.
“Sponsored by Colorado Rep. Mark Baisley, the bill achieves twin goals of providing the public important information to help them make decisions for their health care while also preserving religious liberty for members of Health Care Sharing Ministries in the Rocky Mountain State,” said Katy Talento, executive director of the Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries. “If enacted, the bill will provide robust transparency to those searching for a health care solution, public accountability to ensure best practices among Health Care Sharing Ministries, and appropriate enforcement authority for the Attorney General.”
Rep. Baisley, who has had a 40-year career in information technology in aerospace, defense, education and financial services, sits on the Health and Insurance Committee.
Specifically, the bill will:
- Provide robust public reporting of crucial information about HCSM operations in Colorado and beyond.
- Hold HCSMs accountable to best practices for financial integrity and stewardship.
- Educate all prospective HCSM members about the important differences between HCSMs and insurance.
- Ensure a productive relationship with Colorado’s Attorney General, which oversees non-insurance charities like HCSMs.
- Establish robust enforcement authority to identify any bad actors.
- Preserve the religious liberty of Coloradans and their ability to live out their faith in their choice of providing for their families’ health care needs.
“The Alliance commends Rep. Baisley for being a champion for transparency, clarity and accountability with regard to Health Care Sharing Ministries,” Talento said. “He is looking out for the interests of many Colorado families who choose Health Care Sharing Ministries instead of health insurance, and also the general public, which will benefit from important information about Health Care Sharing Ministries as they search for the right health care solution.”
Founded in 2007 and headquartered in Washington, D.C., The Alliance of Health Care Sharing Ministries was established as a 501(c)(6) trade organization to represent the common interests of Health Care Sharing Ministries which are facilitating the sharing of health care needs (financial, emotional, and spiritual) by individuals and families, and their participants. The Alliance engages with federal and state regulators and policy makers, members of the media, and the Christian community to provide accurate and timely information about Health Care Sharing Ministries.